This listing includes 2 x TL-170 batteries
Thumper Lithium LiFePO4 batteries are fully sealed and are designed to be mounted on any angle for easy application.
Equipped with an internal battery management system (BMS), the Thumper Lithium offers safe charging and discharging with over temperature protection, under and over voltage cut off protection and also internal short circuit protection.
The LiFePO4 range of batteries are less than half the weight of a traditional AGM battery, whilst still offering all of the benefits of a heavy duty deep cycle.
These batteries are designed to hold the terminal voltage higher throughout each cycle, resulting in an increase depth of discharge and a longer overall run time with heavier draw appliances.
Click HERE to download the TL-170 Specification sheet
• Less than half the weight of a traditional lead acid battery
• Higher voltage maintained for longer run times with appliances
• Proven quality and reliability
• Compatible with chargers with an AGM or lithium setting
• For best results: Use of a lithium charger is recommended
• 3 year warranty
• Increased cycles compared to traditional lead acid
• Designed to be wired as parallel OR series
• Parallel connection max 4 cells
• Max series voltage is 48 Volt (max 4 series)
• This battery is NOT designed for starting purposes
• This battery is NOT designed for under bonnet application
|Nominal Voltage||12.8 V|
|Rated Capacity||170 AH|
|Cell Type / Chemistry||Prismatic / LiFePO4|
Dimensions and Weight:
|Height (Total)||215 mm (total height with terminals 230mm)
Operating Temperature Range:
|BMS High temp cut out / Reconnect||80˚C / 50˚C|
|Discharge||-20˚C ~ 60˚C ± 25% Relative Humidity|
|Charge||5˚C ~ 45˚C ± 25% Relative Humidity|
|Storage||0˚C ~ 40˚C ± 25% Relative Humidity|
|Recommended Charge Current||10 ~ 50 Amps
|Max Charge Current||80 Amps|
|Max discharge current (continuous)||150 Amps
|Peak discharge current (1-3 seconds)||480 Amps|
|BMS Voltage cut off||10.0 V
|Self Discharge per month:||≤3%|
|Warranty||3 years from date of purchase|
The Thumper is a Lithium LiFePO4 Prismatic battery.
Yes! The Thumper Lithium is designed to be continually charged and discharged fr the purposes of running all accessories, such as fridges, lighting, inverters and more.
The Thumper Lithium 170 AH have a continual discharge rate of 150Amps (1800watts). The batteries also have a MAX peak discharge of 480 Amps for 3 seconds (surge capacity).
This means that if you are using only one battery, then the maximum Inverter size that would successfully run on the Thumper 170 AH would be a 1800watt.
How many batteries do I need to run my Inverter?
150 watt Inverter ~ 1800 watt Inverter = 1 Battery
1801 watt Inverter ~ 3600 watt Inverter = 2 Batteries
3601 watt Inverter ~ 5,000 watt Inverter = 3 BatteriesWhat would happen if I run over the 150 Amps discharge rating?
The Thumper Lithium is protected internally with a BMS (Battery Management System), meaning that it will protect the battery against overcharge / low voltage and excessive discharge drain.
Example: If you connect a 2000 watt Inverter (166Amp total draw) to the Thumper Lithium battery, then the battery would allow you to run UP TO 1800watts (150Amps) from the Inverter. If the draw exceeded this 150 Amps, then the BMS inside the battery would disconnect and cease providing power to your system.
Once the load has been disconnected from the battery, then you will need to connect a charge to the battery to re-activate the BMS. Once the charge load has been connected, the BMS will reconnect itself within a few seconds and the battery will be ready to use again.Can I mount the Lithium battery on its side?
Yes! The Lithium battery is completely sealed and is designed to allow you to mount on any side.
As with any Lithium battery, it is recommended (when possible) to use a lithium battery charger. Lithium Battery charger chargers charge the battery at a slightly higher voltage and run through compatible charging stages to suit the Lithium's chemistry. Charging your battery with a Lithium compatible charger will help to prolong the life of your Lithium battery by ensuring it is receiving a full rate of charge.
In stating the above, the Thumper Lithium range of batteries are designed to be able to charge from an AGM battery setting.Can I use my portable solar panel on the Thumper Lithium Battery?
The Thumper Lithium is designed to charge from any system that is compatible to charge from either a Lithium or AGM setting.
Providing your solar regulator is designed to suit Lithium or AGM chemistry, then it would be perfectly suitable to charge from your portable solar panel.
The Thumper Lithium Battery will not charge from an unregulated panel as the internal BMS will disconnect any input charge that exceeds 15 Volts.What is the life expectancy of the Thumper Lithium battery?
The Thumper Lithium is rated over cycles. A cycle is the process of charging and discharging the battery. The Thumper Lithium is rated to a minimum of 2000 cycles.
Yes! The Thumper 170 AH is designed to be wired in parallel up to 4 cells. This means you can build your 12 volt system up to a huge 640 AH in capacity!
Can I link a Thumper Lithium 170 AH to any other battery size?
Yes you can!....
But normally, no. The reason for this is individual lithium batteries have a BMS (Battery management system) inside them that controls their operation. In order to communicate with other batteries they are linked with, the BMS system needs to be the same in both batteries, so linking two different types of lithium batteries is not recommended.
However, This battery is different! The Thumper 170 AH will allow you to parallel link to any other lithium battery that has a BMS inside of it. The batteries will operate perfectly together and will act to equalize the charge between them, meaning you can use one charging system to charge two different lithium batteries.
* This does not apply to linking in series. Series linking requires two batteries of the same brand, make and size to allow for even distribution of power.Can I wire the Thumper Lithium in Series?
Wiring in series converts a 12 Volt battery into either a 24Volt / 36Volt or 48Volt system (depending on how it is wired)
The Thumper 170 AH runs a more sophisticated internal BMS, which makes it perfectly suited to run in series UP TO 48 Volts. This battery will allow you to build a 24 Volt / 36 Volt or 48 Volt system. (max 4 cells)
Approx 13.2 ~ 13.4 Volts is 100% charged in a Lithium battery. This reading is to be taken when no charge or discharge load is on the batteries.
When charging, you will often see the battery voltage climb up to 14.5 volts.
The use of a Lithium compatible gauge, such as the Victron SmartShunt, is recommended in order to accurately monitor the state of charge in a Lithium battery set up.
Using voltage to monitor the state of charge in a lithium battery is unfortunately not accurate.
As the voltage in a lithium battery remains higher throughout the cycle life of the battery, it means that Thumper Lithium will read in the 12's when it is nearing the end of it's capacity. When the remaining capacity of the battery has been exhausted, the battery's BMS will disconnect and the battery will shut down.
The short answer to this is Yes, and No.
A voltage meter will provide you an 'indication' on the state of charge on a lithium battery. However, the slightest change in the digital reading of voltage can mean over 50% of your battery's capacity.
The most accurate method to monitor a lithium battery is by use of a gauge that will allow you to enter in the total capacity of the battery, then monitor the discharge taken from the battery, which will then provide you an estimate of remaining capacity. For example: The use of a Victron SmartShunt / BMV700 or BMV712What does the 12.8V on the front of the battery represent?
Much the same as how a lead acid battery is configured, The Thumper lithium battery is constructed using a multiple of smaller cells linked internally.
3 years from date of original purchase
AS/NZS 3001.2 | New regulation requirements:
The new regulations for lithium batteries require a few considerations when installing in caravans as of 15.11.2023. It is therefore recommended to take the following recommendation into consideration when installing:
Lithium batteries shall:
- Be installed externally, ie. Behind a wall, compartment or barrier that prevents the egress of gases into the habitable area; and
- Not enter the habitable area of the structure
In order to meet these requirements, it is recommended that lithium batteries be installed as follows:
- Open to the environment, taking into account a suitable IP rating and mechanical protection.
- Located in a battery compartment that is sealed to the enclosed habitable space of the recreational vehicle.
A battery compartment that opens to the exterior should
- Open outward (to the exterior of the connectable electrical installation) and
- Be accessed from the exterior of the recreational vehicle
If access to the battery compartment is obtained from within the habitable space of the recreational vehicle the compartment must have the following:
- Fitted with openings that maintain a full seal from the enclosed habitable space of the recreational vehicle when in the closed/stored position
- Access to the compartment must only be possible by removing screws or using a prescribed tool.
- An adequate seal from the enclosed habitable space of the recreational vehicle must be restored and maintained after removal and replacement of the compartment opening.
Sealing of a battery compartment from the habitable space of the recreational vehicle must ensure the following:
- The construction of the compartment must prevent the ingress of any fumes or gases from entering the enclosed space of the habitable area.
- Any cable penetrations into the battery compartment must be sealed with suitable cable glands bulkhead posts or another form of non-combustible sealing.
- An annex is considered a habitable space of a recreational vehicle. Battery compartment openings should be located outside the expected enclosed space of an annex.
Note the definition of a recreational vehicle by Cambridge university is:
This would include Caravan’s, motorhomes, camping trailers.
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.